1/7/12

FWTYWHAIMB: Part 1 -- Boudicca

I. Love. Boudicca.
I really do. If I ever met her in person I'd run way in fear, but frankly, you'd run away from any tall, fierce, Briton-Celt Iceni queen, wouldn't you?
Who is Boudicca?
Boudicca was a queen of a British tribe called the Iceni about a hundred brazillion years ago. She had two daughters, and a nice husband (who is sort of irrelevant since the story doesn't start until he dies). When he kicked the bucket, he left half of everything he owned to Boudicca and their daughters, and half he left to the Roman Empire, since the Iceni had been on lovely terms with their civilized Eastern neighbors.
Only Rome didn't like that, and occasionally they liked to remind people that they were the Bossess of Britain, and pretty much the known world. They publicly flogged her, and her daughters were beaten and raped in front of her. Creditors called in their debts, all their stuff was taken, and their kingdom was annexed.
Obviously, Boudicca was not pleased.
Actually, she was really, really, really really really really really not pleased. So not pleased that she called up all her tribal friends, and rounded herself up an army of crazy, war-loving Celts, an army that was actually so big that some sources say it was the reason that they ended up losing the rebellion that Boudicca launched against Rome.
For a while, she did great! Ever hear of a little town called London? Burned it. 
Colchester? Smoked. 
St. Albans? You guessed it. 
Until she lost. Some say she killed herself, some say she got sick and died, but all anyone knows for sure is that she was crazy, mad, and that she had the guts to stand up to the ROMAN EMPIRE.
I use her as a reference often. I base characters off her legend, since there isn't much I know about her actual life. Olivia from Sterling is based on her. I talk about her all the time. I wonder what she was like. I watch waaaay too many documentaries on her (although that's Britain in general). I can't listen to a Florence and the Machine song without remembering her. Boudicca was a queen, a boss, and most definitely worthy of repeated mention in books by any author. 

No comments: